I am an architect and academic. My qualifications include two diplomas in architecture from the Cape Peninsula University of Technology (then the Cape Technikon) and two degrees in architecture from the University of Cape Town. In 1999, I received a Commonwealth Scholarship and completed a Master's degree in Environmental Engineering and Design at the Bartlett School of Graduate Studies, University College London. In 2012, I received a PhD degree from the University of Pretoria, for a study on the domestic architecture of the seminal South African architect, Gawie Fagan.
I have worked for Richard Siefert and Partners in London, the Cape Provincial Administration and KMH Architects in Cape Town. A limited private architectural practice was undertaken between 1997 and 2003 and from 2004 to 2009 I was part of a joint practice Barker Lourens Architects in Cape Town.
In 1996, I taught part-time at the University of Cape Town and in 1997 took up a full-time post at Cape Technikon where I remained till 2009. I co-ordinated the 4th year BTech Applied Design programme from 1998 onwards and received a Merit Award for outstanding teaching achievement in 1998 and a distinguished teachers award in 2001. I was acting Head of Department in 1998. I also set up and ran an NRF sponsored housing research programme and published papers on energy efficiency in low-income housing at two international and three local conferences.
In 2010, I was appointed lecturer at the University of Pretoria where I currently co-ordinate the final year Masters Programme, Design teaching, the Heritage and Cultural Landscapes research field and the Departmental archive. I have examined at Durban, Cape Peninsula and Tshwane Universities of Technology and the Universities of Johannesburg, Free State, Pretoria, Natal, Port Elizabeth and Cape Town. I have also been an accreditation board panellist for the South African Council for the Architectural Profession.
My views on architecture, on this website, are my own and are not associated with any architectural practice, academic institution or product manufacturer.
- Ethics in Architecture: Chapter Four
- Ethics in Architecture: Chapter Three
- Ethics in Architecture: Chapter Two
- Ethics in Architecture: Chapter one
- Memory in Architecture: Chapter Six
- Memory in Architecture: Chapter Five
- Memory in Architecture: Chapter Four
- Memory in Architecture: Chapter Three
- Memory in Architecture: Chapter Two
- Memory in Architecture: Chapter one
- Legacy in Architecture: Chapter four
- Legacy in Architecture: Chapter three
- Legacy in Architecture: Chapter two
- The Five Themes of Local Architecture with Arthur Barker
- Legacy in Architecture: Chapter one
- House Hakahana
- Identity in Architecture Chapter 4
- Identity in Architecture - Chapter 3
- Identity in Architecture - Chapter 2
- Identity in architecture - The First Chapter